What Is Adjustment of Status? | Mark E. Jacobs | iStock-1211256548

What Is Adjustment of Status?

It’s the goal of many to live and work within the US permanently. To do so, you must obtain your green card, which requires you to complete the adjustment of status process.

What Is an Adjustment of Status?

An adjustment of status is the process you must follow to apply for lawful permanent resident status while you’re within the US. Through an adjustment of status, you can be living within the US—you don’t have to return to your home country to complete the process.

How to Apply for an Adjustment of Status

There are a few critical steps involved in an adjustment of status. To begin, you’ll need to determine if you’re eligible for a green card. Eligibility differs depending on your immigrant category. For example, you can apply for a green card by:

  • Being an immediate relative of a US citizen
  • Being married to a US citizen
  • Being employed within the US
  • Being a refugee or asylee for at least one year

Next, you’ll need to file form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with the USCIS. You’ll also need supporting documentation and applicable fees. Once your application is submitted, you’ll need to provide your fingerprints and other documentation at a local Application Support Center (ASC).

If required, the USCIS will also schedule you for an interview appointment. During your interview, you’ll be asked questions about your desire to live in the US permanently. If the USCIS determines eligibility and acceptance after your interview, you’ll receive your green card.

What Is Adjustment of Status? | Mark E. Jacobs | iStock-1211256548
972-445-7577 – Adjustment of status is the process you must follow to obtain your green card. To learn more about the process, visit us today.

How Long Does the Adjustment of Status Process Take?

The green card process can take some time. Some processes can take a matter of months, while others may take a few years. It all depends on your unique situation. An immigration attorney can help you avoid delays by ensuring you complete each step in the process.

Call Mark E. Jacobs Today for Immigration Assistance

Are you ready to file an adjustment of status? We recommend reaching out to a professional immigration attorney for help. To learn more about the process, give Mark E. Jacobs a call at 972-445-7577 or send us a message.

Average Rating:
Total Number of Reviews:
  • September 8, 2020
    Helen N.
    Highly Impressive
  • June 10, 2020
    Syeda M.
    I’m very satisfied. My case was little difficult. But he Handel my case very nicely.
  • January 26, 2020
    Jeff M.
    Mark E. Jacobs, if I had to hire another attorney, Mr. Jacobs would be hired again! Attorney Jacobs did a great job on happy my wife during a Time that she didn't think that she would ever receive her US citizenship... But with the help attorney Mark E Jacobs, my wife received her United States citizenship. outstanding work acknowledge this good man in has work as an immigration attorney for Dallas county. *****
  • January 25, 2020
    Abideen H.
    Abideen H Mark E Jacobs law farm is the one of the best Immigration lawyer. Mark treated every cases with ultimate priority and the uniqueness it requires. This can be witnessing in his exceptional ability to document conversation without missing words. Anyone that dealing with Mark knows what I’m talking about. Mark Jacob has overwhelming amount of experience to navigate and provide you with all possible legal means necessary to every specific cases. I took my case file to him at a tipping point. I can’t go into detail but the end justifies the means.
  • January 21, 2020
    Barbara R.
    Exceptional customer service! Everyone here is awesome. From Daisy ( at the front desk) to Christy (legal assistant) to Mark. I highly recommend them!!
Full Star Half Star Empty Star