Immediate Relative Visas Are Unlimited, but Still Not Easy to Get

Immediate Relative Visas Are Unlimited, but Still Not Easy to Get

Family-based immigration is a tool to help people live full, productive lives in the United States. Parents separated from their children and spouses separated from one another are paying a terrible price. Immigration laws exist to help families reunite and move forward, together.

What Are Immediate Relative Visas?

There are many different types of visas available in the United States. When it comes to close family members, the most common types are as follows:

  • IR-1 visas – For immigrant spouses of U.S. citizens
  • IR-2 visas – For underage, unmarried children of U.S. citizens
  • IR-3 visas – For orphans adopted in other countries by U.S. citizens
  • IR-4 visas – For orphans intended to be adopted in the U.S. by U.S. citizens, or who were adopted abroad by only one parent, or who were not seen by the parent prior to being adopted
  • IR-5 visas – For parents of U.S. citizens who are at least 21 years of age
    One of the main benefits of these types of visas is that they are unlimited. The U.S. does not cap the number of people who can get these visas in a given year. While these categories are easy to understand, and the number of visas is unlimited, that does not mean that getting one for your family is a simple matter.

A Challenging Process

Getting a family-based visa or green card can be confusing. Immigration paperwork can leave you feeling lost. Mistakes on that paperwork can cost you time and money. Your immigration status and that of your family depend on doing things the right way at the right time. You should not be afraid to ask for help in navigating the system.

Family Preference Visas

Family-sponsored preference visas are limited to 226,000 per year by the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). These visas are issued in the order in which the petition is filed. The preference order looks like this:

  • First (F1) – For unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
  • Second (F2) – For spouses and children, and unmarried sons and daughters of permanent residents
      • F2A – For spouses and children of permanent residents
      • F2B – For unmarried sons and daughters (21 or older) of permanent residents
      • Third (F3) – For married sons and daughters and U.S. citizens
      • Fourth (F4) – For brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens

Reuniting Families Through Immigration Law. Call Us Today.

Bringing your family together here in the United States is a part of the American dream. Making that dream come true is not easy.
From our offices in Dallas, Mark E. Jacobs, P.C. offers dedicated and caring family-based immigration services. We can answer your questions and give you the help you need to work through the immigration system. Call 1-972-445-7577 today.

Average Rating:
Total Number of Reviews:
Full Star Half Star Empty Star