A green card is your proof of legal permanent residency in the U.S. Green cards can be obtained in several different ways:
- Through sponsorship of a family member who is a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident
- Through employment sponsorship
- By being a refugee or asylee
- The Diversity Immigrant Visa Program (known as the “green card lottery”)
- By meeting specific family situations
- By having preferred jobs and skills
- Coming from countries or areas designated for special attention
Proof Of Legal Permanent Residence
At Mark E. Jacobs, P.C., of Dallas, we work in all of these avenues for obtaining a green card, but most of our work is based on family, including fiancé visas. We help clients through the renewal process. We also assist people who have married to have the conditions removed from their green card.
Many responsibilities go with having a green card. The most important is that you have the card on you at all times. Failure to do so is a violation of the Immigration and Nationality Act, with a possible fine of up to $100 and even imprisonment for up to 30 days.
Take care to avoid green card scams. There are con men who will take your money and promise to handle the paperwork for you. Some will promise that you will win the green card lottery. We advise everyone to work only with experienced, licensed immigration attorneys who know the law. If someone makes you an offer that sounds too good to be true, beware.
Arm yourself with the experience and persistence of one of the most trusted names in immigration law in northern Texas. Call Dallas green card lawyer Mark E. Jacobs at 972-445-7577, or write to him using this email link.